Subject: Re: [boost] Help with SVN required
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-01 19:18:31

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> I want to merge current state of the directories of the serialization
>> library into the release branch. In order to do this, I consult the
>> SVN documentation as well as the instructions at
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices
>>
>> When I do the merge - I get a large number of conflicts. It looks
>> like: a) lines deleted from the trunk are not deleted from the new
>> (release) working copy.
>> b) files deleted from the trunk are not deleted from the new
>> (release) working copy.
>> c) files which have been added to the trunk don't show up in my
>> (release) working copy.
>>
>> According to the SVN documentation I should go through the dozens of
>> files with conflicts one by one and examine them and resolve all the
>> conflicts. What I really want is for the current state of the trunk to be
>> "transfered" to the release branch. Any body know what i might be
>> doing wrong?
>
> If you just want to completely overwrite the release branch
> with the contents of the trunk, you can pass the release branch
> and the trunk as the two sources for the merge.

I tried this by selection the third option from the merge dialog. However
I got other behavior which doesn't seem right.

a) No conflicts - according to Tortoise SVN so far so good.
b) A couple of files which have been dropped are now marked
as conflicted - not what I expect to see. So the file system on
my working directory doesn't look like the on on the thunk.
I suppose I could remove them with svn commands - but that
seems contrary to the whole idea of the "merge"
c) a couple of new files I added to the trunk don't show up
in the file system.
d) The files aren't the same as in the trunk - they look like
a "merge" of the trunk and release branches - which is not what
I want.
e) The little Tortoise icon overlay shows a green dot which
is supposed to indicate that the file in the working directory
is the same as that in the supository. This is a surprise to
me as I expect the working directory to contain files which
are now different than the current branch - the release branch.
When I right click - it doesn't give me a choice to diff with the
repository but rathre to diff against the previous version.

Note that I "upgraded" to the most most recent revision of tortoise SVN-
1.63
which has UI Dialogs which differ from those described in
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices

I'm still searching around - it drives me crazy when something
that should be trivial takes a whole day.

Robert Ramey