Subject: Re: [boost] [Serialization] Bizarre bug
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-04 01:36:16

I looked into this a little bit. Looks like a bug to me.

The problem is that the presence of ar << ptr is use to trigger
the instantication of code for saving pointers. This code
enables tracking. Also ar >> ptr is used to trigger instantiation
of code for loading pointers. The motivation is to avoid
instantiation of code that is never called. This system is
broken for the case where ar << ptr is invoked but
ar >> ptr isn't. I'll look into it. For now you could work around this by
a) including more dummy code.
b) removing the dummy code
c) explicitly setting tracking for the type to track_alwyas or track_never.

Robert Ramey