Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40] timeline?
From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-06 21:51:39

On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:19, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Sure. Just follow the usual drill: fix it first on trunk, wait for
> the tests to cycle, then merge to release. Thanks.
>
> But why did changes to Serialization break MPI? Was MPI making use
> of undocumented parts of s11n, or has the s11n interface changed in
> a non-backward-compatible way? If the latter, I'm a bit concerned
> that such a breaking change would go in so close to release.

Robert changed the implementation of pointer serialization. Now
different headers need to be included and different templates
instantiated in the source files for any archive to be used by
Boost.Serialization. This is a breaking change and none of the
archives created for releases before 1.40 will work out of the box
with Boost 1.40. They all will have to be rewritten.

This was reported to me on the trunk about 2 weeks ago and I fixed it
there but I was not aware that he had moved it also to the release
branch. I think he did not expect anyone to write their own archives,
but Boost.MPI creates quite a number of different archive types.

Matthias