Subject: Re: [boost] different matrix library?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-11 07:07:19

>>> i looked at uBLAS and the design seemed obsolete to me
>>> so i thought there could be a better approach then blindly following
>>> blas design
>
>> What is the issue with uBLAS?
>
> in my opinion a piece of software must be targeted to target users
> (excuse for a pun)
> i see a generic scientist as target user who already knows about
> matrix calculus and may not know about blas
> for such person writing
> u = A*v + w
> is much more natural than that of blas terms
> i think that user must focus on the design and the intent rather
> than how to express the thing in blas terms

Please note we're not talking about BLAS (C interface), but uBLAS which is
already a Boost vector/matrix library here:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm

You also need to be very careful with allowing "simple" expressions like

u = A*v + w

As traditionally these have awful performance due to the temporaries
involved.

There is also an ongoing Boost-sister-project to devise a "next generation"
matrix library for C++, but I've lost the link for the moment :-(

Cheers, John.