Subject: Re: [boost] different matrix library?
From: Edward Grace (ej.grace_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-14 18:17:47

>> double length_squared = Z*transpose(Z);
>> is, for example, an entirely valid operation that reduces to
>> length_squared = 3^2+4^2 and has the type of an
>> abstract_symmetric_matrix<2,0> which is identically castable to a
>> scalar.
> i think theoretically it's possible
> since one can compute any computable value thriugh template
> metaprogramming - why not?
> but i have doubts about profits of all that stuff

Sure. Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Then again, when
you look at some of Boost 'because we can' could well be the battle
cry! The profits, once the minefield of development is negotiated,
may well be surprising and unexpected. It's now been demonstrated
that various C++ techniques and deep abstraction not only don't
impact performance but can yield excellent performance and vastly
improve expressibility.

I think, and am sure you agree, expressibility is the number one
concern. Being able to write code that is clear and concise under
the domain of interest (e.g. linear algebra) is compelling; if it's
implemented in a suitable manner high performance will come for free!

>> significant.
>> The parting shot is that if one can see through the layers of
>> abstraction there is a real possibility for building a phenomenally
>> efficient linear algebra library that is practically self aware!
> actually, if i got the point right, an implementation might do just
> what you wrote
> it doesn't hold the resulting matrix but rather an expression with
> some rules of computing the elements of resulting matrix

Indeed. Oh, expression templates just got re-invented! ;-)

-ed