Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] need svn merge advice (was: Unmerged changes delaying beta 1)
From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 14:53:43

Beman gave me the advice below.
When trying to svn merge libs/python I'm running into this error:

svn: Access scheme mixtures not yet supported ('http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/python/test/enable_shared_from_this.py' and 'https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/libs/python/test')
svn: Error reading spooled REPORT request response

The full output is below.

Fedora release 11 (Leonidas)
% svn --version
svn, version 1.6.4 (r38063)
   compiled Aug 7 2009, 03:42:39

The working copy was checked out fresh with this client.

The merge command is OK for boost/python.
Adding --force doesn't help for libs/python.

Last night I locally tested after simply copying the boost/python and libs/python directories into a working copy
of the release branch. That works fine, but there will be no merge info if I commit from the manually modified
working copy. IIUC that will be a problem for future merges.

What's the best way forward?

What if I commit from the release working copy with the manual copies from the trunk, then manually edit
svn:mergeinfo to tell it I have everything from trunk up to this point? -- Secondary question: should I
do this at the top level (branches/release) or in the subdirectories (branches/release/boost/python,
branches/release/libs/python)?

Any advice is appreciated; I'm quite afraid of doing something bad to the merge info. (The svn documentation
explicitly tells me not to merge in subdirectories in order to avoid pitfalls...)

Ralf