Subject: Re: [boost] Arbitrary precision arithmetic
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-19 04:44:20

On
> Behalf Of Stephen Nuchia
> Sent: 18 August 2009 22:25
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Arbitrary precision arithmetic
>
> A bignum library focused primarily on portable, provably correct
> "reference implementations" of the algorithms rather than on performance
> would have a lot of value.

Indeed - the high accuracy of the Boost.Math distributions and functions is
largely because John Maddock put a lot of effort into getting reference
values
using NTL (a GPL licensed library).

(Some of them made my CPU smoke for days ;-)

> The boost community is not set up to duplicate what GMP does. But I
> think we could do something else very well if we focus on correctness,
> portability, and metaprogramming API tastiness instead of making the
> tires smoke.

Or better, as recently proposed, also allow one to use GMP if desired.
That should get the tires warm, if not smoking.

Although the people who want speed, want it badly, most people don't really
care.

What most people also care about, is control of the behaviour at the limits
(NaN/inf/divzero/overflow).

So a policy based implementation is essential. But I suspect that, with
some forethought, that can be added later.

We seem to have several nearly finished offerings, but none reviewed for the
Official Boost Logo.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow