Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] SHARING_VIOLATION due to antivirus
From: Isidor Zeuner (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-20 14:53:13

> Quoting Lars Hagstrom <lars_at_[hidden]>:
>
> > Yes, of course it is due to bad AV. But for me it would still be handy
> > if boost.interprocess was a little bit more tolerant towards that. If my
> > software crashes it will be perceived as buggy, however much I blame AV...
>
> One thing you can do is to, at startup, detect if nod32.dll is loaded in your
> process, and throw up a warning dialog to tell the user that the AV software is
> buggy.

This seems inappropriate since, if anything, the operating system
kernel which forces user space programmers into busy waiting for
obtaining locks could be considered buggy by design in that regard.

However, this bug could even be warned about at compile time, so we
could solve this in boost itself. It is probably inappropriate to do
so by default, but for administrators of heterogenous systems it might
become handy to have a preprocessor flag which can warn if someone is
about to deploy software which uses features the operating system was
not designed for, so it can be considered to move the application to a
more appropriate platform.

Best regards,

Isidor