Subject: Re: [boost] compression format (was: Plotting graphs in Scalable Vector Graphics format.)
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-25 17:37:15

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Stefan Seefeld<seefeld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 08/21/2009 01:44 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>>
>> And source at
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/SOC/2007/visualization Boost
>> Sandbox
>> source code
>>

> I tried to navigate that in a browser. Unfortunately it seems the html files
> aren't meant to be browsed in-place, at least most of the links are invalid.
> That's a pity.
>

>> And, in case you were on vacation for my first post, some demo plots are
>> attached for your amusement.
>>

> Could you please use a more widely supported packaging / compression format
> ? (E.g., gzip, bz2)
>
> The pdf tutorial looks great, and I would love to see such a boost.svg
> library addition. (Though, this reminds me of all the discussions we have
> had about modularity: I think this should be a stand-alone library. But
> that's a completely separate discussion.)

7z is rather widely used from what I have seen. All the random zips I
have downloaded over the past probably 2 years, probably 80% have been
7z. 7z has been included in all the *nix distro's I have used for the
past few years, and most zip programs on Windows supports it just fine
as well. 7z compresses a *lot* better then gzip/bzip/zip/etc...
Takes more memory and time to do the initial compression, but is fast
decompressing. I really doubt you would have any issues opening it,
on my Kubuntu install I just click to open it, ditto with my windows.