Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] Release candidates available
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-26 13:58:52

> I must respectfully disagree. It's not easy at all. A new user would
> probably start with:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/more/getting_started/index.html
>
>>From there quickly jump to:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html
>
> while skimming through, trying not to become frustrated with the
> bewildering
> wealth of information there, thinking "what is the damn command that is
> equivalent to just make?", I don't think he would ever know to look at
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/install.html.
> It certainly didn't occur to me.

Then where did you get ICU_PATH from? It's not mentioned in the
getting-started guide, and the message emitted by bjam if you build without
ICU support (ie by following the getting started guide) is:

warning: Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support
disabled.
note: Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
note: this is a strictly optional feature.

Then this clearly directs you to the regex lib docs. But if we can do
better.... ???

Regards, John.