Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-07 07:09:14

on Wed Sep 02 2009, Michael Fawcett <michael.fawcett-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
>
> This is hard to say. Being restricted to integer coordinates may be
> fine for VLSI and PCB layout, but I work in GIS and games, and the
> lack of floating point support is a showstopper. It seems very niche,
> which is not to say it should be rejected solely for that, just that I
> won't be using it.

It sounds like either the author should state an intention to support
floating point in the very near future, or the name of the library
should be changed to reflect its specialized nature. If someone comes
along with a general-purpose polygon library later, it would be a shame
to have the name "Boost.Polygon" reserved.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing