Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Boost.Itl; The Interval Template Library
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-23 06:48:50

2009/9/21 Simonson, Lucanus J <lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]>:

>>>(Markus Werle)
>>> Actually I am very unlucky with the name "itl".
>

> I'd suggest naming it either Interval Set--boost::interval_set or Interval Set Library--boost::isl.

after pondering for a while I tend to prefer this name

Compact Associative Containers
boost::compass

I think this name is appropriate with respect to scope and level of abstraction.
* The lib provides containers
* It implements sets and maps which are known as associative containers.
* It implements them exploiting a compact representation (intervals)
* The central requirements of the compact representations is that
  key elements of the containers are LessThan *comp*arable. So the
  acronym compass can also express that the domain_type of the
  *ass*ociative containers has to be *comp*arable.
* The name omits 'interval' which prevents one of the most frequent
  misunderstandings that the library's interval_sets are sets of intervals or
  that interval_maps map intervals to values. Instead they are
  associative containers of elements in a compact implementation
  *using* intervals.

Thoughts?

--
Joachim