Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] Mixing of sync and async calls
From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-24 10:35:07

Christopher Kohlhoff wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:11 +0200, "Roland Schwarz"
> <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Also when in a blocking sync call, will it be
>> possible to "cancel" it from another thread,
>> e.g. by posting to the io_service which will
>> invoke a close on the socket?
>
> No. Only async calls can be portably cancelled.

This is interesting. I thought asio was using
overlapped io for the blocking calls also.
(If not how, would it be possible then to handle
the pending async calls in the background?)

And when using overlapped for the blocking calls
why wouldn't it be possible then to use the same
cancelling mechanism?

Yet another question:

Are you considering to add async file IO to this great
library?

Thank you,
Roland

  _  _  | Roland Schwarz aka. speedsnail