Subject: Re: [boost] [std_rdb] [rdb] 0.0.09
From: Stefan Strasser (strasser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-01 14:16:15

Hi Vicente,

I think these are all good ideas, but I don't think a generic relational
database layer is the right place to put them.
take e.g. if you wanted to extend BoostSTM to support making some objects
persistent. a layer that emulates nested transactions, begins and rolls back
transactions based on RAII etc. would be an obstacle.
abstracting the features a backend DOES support and provide a generic boost
interface to them is hard enough given the various SQL dialects, and is a
good basis to implement your ideas.
if you start to emulate features a db doesn't supoprt, you end up emulating
isolation levels the db doesn't support (not trivial), emulating
2-phase-transactions, and emulating half a RDBMS eventually.