Subject: Re: [boost] Time for another bug sprint (after 1.41 ships)?
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-01 13:56:53

Thomas Klimpel wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>> Whitespace insensitive full diff here:
>>
>> http://sodium.resophonic.com/boost/difffull-ignoring-whitespace.txt
>
> Would it be possible to exclude "spirit" and "fusion" from the diff?

The git infrastructure that generates all this is set up and documented,
all are welcome to use it to generate reports (or anything else). It is
pretty easy to script this stuff however you like it. Say, a regex-only
diff of release vs trunk (here called 'master'):

% git diff --stat svn/master svn/release boost/regex libs/regex
  boost/regex/concepts.hpp | 94 ----
  boost/regex/v4/basic_regex_parser.hpp | 7 +-
  boost/regex/v4/cpp_regex_traits.hpp | 6 +-
  [etc]
  libs/regex/src/fileiter.cpp | 21 +-
  libs/regex/src/static_mutex.cpp | 2 +-

Personally I don't think another 'report' is a good long-term solution.
  This kind of report should be easy/fast for any developer to
asynchronously generate for arbitrary pairs of trees.

For instance, in our (separate) releases of Boost.CMake, it is both
crucial and trivial to be able to verify that the only changes we've
made to any given branch/release/tag/revision are strictly limited to
the build system:

  % git diff --stat 1.40.0.cmake2 Boost_1_40_0

  .gitignore | 5 -
  CMakeLists.txt | 3 +-
  libs/graph/module.cmake | 2 +-
  libs/mpi/src/CMakeLists.txt | 1 -
  libs/serialization/test/CMakeLists.txt | 2 +-

  [etc etc]

  tools/inspect/CMakeLists.txt | 3 +-
  tools/wave/CMakeLists.txt | 36 ++

The above runs almost instantaneously, and that is just one example of
the many things we use. I don't think we would be able to do what we're
doing at all without this capability.

-t