Subject: Re: [boost] The C++ Post-Processor
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-01 20:12:07

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 10/18/2009 08:06 AM, Christian Schladetsch wrote:
>>
>> D is indeed interesting. But I wonder how far C++ can be taken with M4/C++
>> before it breaks.
>>

> ...which seems to imply it isn't already broken. (Sorry, couldn't resist.
> ;-) )

Heh, I have actually been playing with the idea of porting some D
concepts into C++ in the Clang compiler when C++ in it is more mature,
call it CD or something. Not everything from D, but D's templates and
mixins are a *must*, as well as a lot of the static compilation
abilities. Would be fully backwards compatible (something nice about
the D syntax is it is designed to fit into C++, not replace, its
templates use the !() syntax instead of <> for example) while bringing
in the power that D is better at. Would be nice to bring in the new
array handling functionality, but not sure that would fit in as well
without breaking old code.

Hmm, looks like D can link in to C++ code too now, was not able to
before; considering that, I may have to take another look at it...