Subject: Re: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: Zachary Turner (divisortheory_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 22:37:19

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:08 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Wed Oct 28 2009, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld-AT-sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 10/28/2009 11:34 AM, Julian Bangert wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> yesterday I tried to download the boostpro binaries for windows and I
> had to
> >> download over a gigabyte to get all configurations for VS 2008.
> >
> > Sadly, the only point being discussed so far is the online registration.
> What I find
> > to be at least as annoying is the size of the package. And by that I'm
> not (only)
> > referring to the memory or bandwidth. The most important issue is the
> burden of having
> > to deal with such an amount of data, even if I'm only interested into a
> relatively
> > small part of boost.
>
> Huh? Admittedly the headers are all-or-nothing, but the Boostpro
> installer lets you choose exactly the binaries you're interested in.
>
> > I wonder whether there is still any thought or even effort spent on
> breaking boost up
> > into individual components that can be built, tested, and ultimately also
> packaged
> > separately. Any news on that ?
>
> I'm hoping Troy can give us a public report on the modularization
> effort. Troy?

Since we're talking about the boostpro installers, it would be great if:

a) they included the option of 64-bit binaries
b) There were filters of some kind so that I could easily target a specific
compiler / platform / etc. So maybe a set of checkboxes for platform
(x86/x64), a set of checkboxes for configuration (Debug/Release), and a set
of checkboxes for compiler version (vc8, vc9, vc10). Then two additional
buttons "enable all" and "disable all". So if I check
x86/x64/Debug/Release/vc9, then click enable all, it would automatically
enable or disable the appropriate items. As it is, it takes forever to go
through the tree manually expanding every single library, then
debug/release, then the compiler version which I would think is >90% of the
use cases.