Subject: Re: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-06 16:33:15

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Emil Dotchevski
<emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Gottlob Frege <gottlobfrege_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> But I will say we still did it - ie we still found it valuable to get
>> to zero warnings.
>
> I read your post carefully and it seems like fixing the warnings
> didn't uncover any bugs and at least for one warning the fix
> introduced bugs; +0 for the former, -1 for the latter leaves me
> wondering what value do you find in fixing the warnings.

Hard to find, but it was there:

>> Once you get to 0, warnings will find more
>> bugs than they cause, but not during the drive to 0

I think everyone agrees 0 warnings are worthwhile (mostly to increase
visibility of new warnings, some of which will flag real bugs). It is
just a question of how worthwhile, and what, if anything, should be
done when you are in the way too many warnings situation.

Tony