Subject: [boost] [1.41] mpi + python + multiple variants
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-16 05:06:45

There was a report on IRC that 1.41 beta fails to build with the following command:

        ./bjam threading=single,multi --with-python --with-mpi --layout=versioned

because Boost.Build reports target name clash on stage/lib/mpi.so. And sure it does.
The mpi Jamfiles specify that a Python extension called 'mpi' should be built if
Python is available. However, nothing adjusts the name of python extension, so
ST and MT variants get the same name, and clash.

For all I know, this problem was there all the time, so holding 1.41 for it is not
necessary. But still would be nice to fix, and for that, I need an opinion from
either MPI or Python experts here.

1. Shall the name of extension module be adjusted? If so, how? I doublt that
Python users will jump with joy if asked to do 'import mpi-mt-gd-gcc34'.
2. Shall a specific variant be pinned?
3. Anything else?

Thanks,
Volodya