Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost C++ Libraries] #3644: Getting starting simplified build from source should use a log file.
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-20 05:20:43

Behalf Of

--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

> >> Comment(by vladimir_prus):
> >>
> >> Would printing this information at the end of the build address your
> >> concerns?
> >
> > Well yes it would, but surely it is always better to have a log file so you
can check it went
> OK?
> >
> > Or will checking %errorlevel% tell the user that?
>
> My plan is as follows:
>
> 1. Make 'stop of first error' the default behaviour, so if you get an error,
you will surely
> notice.
> 2. If the build is successfull, print the summary of where what was installed.
>
> It *seems* that with such arrangement, you don't have to look at the log too
often.

> > But checking %errorlevel% doesn't tell you what libraries you have just
built.

> Do you mean that the user wants to know what library have failed to build? I
think with the
> above behaviour, he'll know.
>
> On the other hand, we already have a couple libraries that are built depending
on
> configuration
> (python, mpi) and few others (math long long, wide serialization) that will
become such.
> So,
> maybe printing the summary of what was built, and why not, could still be
helpful (in
> addition
> to the current output telling where what is installed).
>
> What do you think?

Printing a summary *at the end* sounds fine to me - so doesn't scroll off the
top!

(Let's not take a "don't tell the poor dears too much in case they get confused"
approach (as widely practised by a well-know operating system ;-)

Paul

PS I'm still of the view that providing several sample MS .bat files would be
useful too.
-
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse