Subject: Re: [boost] Core libraries should separated from experimentallibraries
From: Christopher Jefferson (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 08:45:26

On 25 Nov 2009, at 13:28, Christian Schladetsch wrote:

> Perhaps boost needs a practical, staged boost::ex:: or boost::sandbox
> namespace. I do not think such would really help in the long term, but it
> may help over the next decade. But we also know that such would probably
> cause far more troubles than it could solve. Which is sad.

I wonder if the solution could be more of a presentation issue.

One problem with the boost sandbox is that it is extremely non-user friendly, it is basically just a directory dump with various packages, with little description of what is going on with them. I suspect very users would dig around in there to find packages.

Perhaps a better design would be to introduce a more organised sandbox, which provides a web page and on-line documentation for each package. This would (in my opinion) make sandbox libraries much more accessible and useable, making it (hopefully) easier for them to grow and encourage them to become finished libraries, in particular with full boost-style documentation.

Chris