Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] type_traits/common_type and integer/ratio
From: Vicente Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-02 22:17:34

Hi Johm,

John Maddock wrote:

>> You can see [http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21 [*N2661 - A
>> Foundation
>> to Sleep On]] which is very informative and provides motivation for key
>> design decisions for `common_type`, ratio and chrono.
>>
>> I really think they are very useful and the standard group also, as both
>> are
>> in N3000.
>>

> OK, looking into that a bit more, I think that would be a reasonably
> uncontrovercial addition to type_traits - but do you have a test suite and
> docs?

I'm reworking the Beman documentation using quickbook. I'll add it to the
vault as soon as possible. Concerning tests, currently there is much more
examples using chrono and ratio than common_type. You can take a look at the
Beman version on the Sandbox.

I hope you could adopt this utility.

> This one's quite a bit of an addition - almost a little mini-library in
> it's
> own right.
>
> I think you're correct that it should be locatable as a utility in it's
> own
> right, and yes under boost/integer I guess. My suggestion is that you ask
> for a review for ratio separately from chrono. BTW the utilities here
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/math/doc/gcd/html/index.html
> might
> be useful for the implementation of this one, rather than re-inventing
> your
> own.

Ok, I'm going to separate the comom_type, the ratio and the chono
documentation and test to make eaisier separated reviews.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll see how math/gdc can be used to refactor the
use of gdc in the class ratio.

Best,
Vicente