Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] Review
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-04 00:43:30

On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Andrew Venikov wrote:

> David Bergman wrote:
> <snip>
>> But the choices are usually, well, *different* ways (different notions
>> or at least highly different interfaces) of accomplishing the same
>> thing.
>
> What about map and hash_map? They try to accomplish the same thing and
> the interfaces are almost identical?

Or even std::vector and std::list for a lot of operations :-)

Yes, if the runtime characteristics is highly distinct, preferably complexity-theoretically so, there can be a use of multiple implementations. Although: even the notions at a *semi*-abstract level are different between map (tree) and hash_map (); so, I do not even think about hash_map and map the same when diving an inch below the most abstract level. So, I would venture to say that the notions are distinct at that semi-abstract level.

> I say make the user aware of different options and what the differences
> mean
> in terms of performance/scalability/usability and so on and let her
> decide
> what to use.

Makes sense. This will become quite important, as some other guys have pointed out.

/David