Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] Review
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-05 09:35:40

On Dec 5, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Andreas Huber wrote:

>> MSM and Statechart do not merely overlap, the do the exact same
>> thing: letting the developer specify and execute a state machine.
>
> This statement is about as ignorant of the details as: "std::list<> and std::vector<> do not merely overlap, they do the exact same thing: letting the developer store objects in memory"

Ignorant? Andreas, I can tell you one thing: I am anything but ignorant. Do you claim that I am wrong, i.e., that either MSM or Statechart does something else but letting the developer specify and execute a state machine? Do you realize that this specific use is much less generic than your "store objects in memory"?

This is not the kind of comment that will sway me, that is for sure. The abstraction - FSM - is very *specific* and is common between MSM and Statechart.

/David