Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-11 05:20:53

>>> "svn diff" without arguments will show difference in 'main boost'
>>> "svn diff boost/mylib libs/mylib" will show the difference for the specified
>>> library -- but this is probably obvious.
>>>
>>> Is this a problem and what alternatives do you suggest?
>>
>> well, both checkouts wouldn't be synchronized ...
>> a distributed version
>> control system would fit for this use case way better ... i don't want
>> to start a scm flamewar, but for me svn appears to be very limited
>> compared to tools like git ...
>
> We could probably indeed start a nice flamewar on version control, but before
> we go that route, I wanted to double check. Is this inconvenience of
> combining sanbbox libraries with main release the primary issue with the current
> organization of sandbox? Or there are other issues? Could you list them?
>
> Because if it's the only issue, we're doing pretty well ;-)

consider the following use case:
boost (upstream) contains boost/memory_order.hpp
my_lib uses boost/memory_order.hpp

boost (upstream) doesn't define memory_order_consume, my_lib requires
memory_order_consume to be defined in boost/memory_order.hpp

so both repository checkout clash ... using one merged git repository,
this is no issue (possibly the same with mercurial or bazaar)

best, tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]
http://tim.klingt.org