Subject: Re: [boost] library proposal: odeint
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-14 09:26:49

Behalf Of
> Karsten Ahnert
> Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:03 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] library proposal: odeint

> I am new on this list and want to start a discussion if a library for
> solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) would fit into boost.
>
> We are developing a lib - odeint - for such problems. odeint can be
> found in the sandbox: https://boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/odeint, but
> the current stage is far away from being ready for release or submission.

I'm sure some will be interested in this

- though it isn't Boost 'mainstream' so you should not be put off if you don't
get millions of replies ;-)

But the name 'odeint' seems ugly (and even uninformative) to me :-(

Producing some docs might usefully be your first priority. (Suggestions: Use
Quickbook 1.5 from the start, and imbed your code 'snippets' using the Quickbook
mechanism provided. This prevents C++ code getting out of step with the docs,
always very off-putting to users. Doxygen is also a help, especially if you
'Doxygenate' all functions and parameters fully).

(You might also consider how this library would fit in with other (possibly
future) libraries doing similar numerical things?)

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse