Subject: Re: [boost] Do the Coding Guidelines for Integral Constant Expressions need updating?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-15 17:50:43

2009/12/15 Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>:
> Patrick Horgan a écrit :
>>
>> I was reading the Integral Constant Expressions doc
>> (http://www.boost.org/development/int_const_guidelines.html), last edited in
>> October 2007, and am guessing that some of the warnings are out of date with
>> newer versions of some of the compilers available.  Does anyone know?
>
> They're guidelines if you want compatibility with MSVC6 and that kind of old
> compiler.
>
> My understanding is that it's not mandatory to follow them, and it would be
> expected that all libraries that use fairly advanced template
> meta-programming do not.

I think MPL actually makes it quite easy to follow a lot of those
guidelines. I don't think we should get rid of information about older
compilers, but it could be moved to a less prominent place since it
isn't relevant for many new boost developers. I actually accidentally
removed the old Visual C++ and Borland development info when we moved
to the new site, and I've been wondering if it's worth restoring them
somewhere. There hasn't been any demand though.

There's a lot of work on the wiki toward establishing new guidelines,
at some point someone (i.e. not me, I'm afraid) is going to have to
take charge of combining them with the existing guidelines. It might
even be worth moving much of the development information over to the
wiki, which would let the main website focus on users.

Daniel