Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in static plugins?
From: Dave van Soest (dsoest_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-16 16:55:26

Hi all,

The C++ standards document states that it is implementation dependent
whether the constructor of a static object is called before entering
main() or just before first use (ISO/IEC 14882:2003 section 3.6.2 part 3).

I can't help wondering why the standard leaves this choice open to
implementation.

The compilers/linkers/platforms I tested my library with all enable
calling the constructors before entering main() by default, but this
behavior is not guaranteed by the language. I currently don't know
whether this behavior can be guaranteed in any way. If so, the library
may still be useful, but perhaps not for Boost.

Kind regards,
Dave van Soest