Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Release Candidate 4 released Options
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-09 18:36:42

On 01/09/2010 08:21 PM, Jesse Perla wrote:
> Andrey:
> I am excited to get logging into boost!
>
> I may have mentioned this before, but I see logging support for distributed
> applications as being my essential usecase.
>
> For applications distributed by MPI, the interface is MPE:
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/www/www4/MPE.html
>

> You can see an example here: http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/I590/node112.html
> There are a few quirks about this interface, and I wanted to do a
> sanity check that it was possible to implement as a backend:
> * You need to have event numbers for different log events.
> And you need to call an API to get the number: MPE_Log_get_event_number()
>
> * There is a way to describe states and their transitions:
> MPE_Describe_state(.)
> after you generate them. This allows you to track the duration between
> state changes... with associated colors.
>
> * There is a viewer called "jumpshot" that shows these logs, colors, etc.
>
> Anyways, I just wanted to bring this to your attention as an important
> usecase to think through in the interfaces. And if you happen to write an
> MPE backend to be packaged with boost::mpi, it would be an amazing addition.

Hi,

I have a very vague knowledge about MPI and no knowledge about MPE, so I
can't tell for sure if it is possible to write such a backend. But if it
happens to be similar to Windows NT Event log then it is possible. The
key problem to solve is to provide a relationship between attribute
values from log records and events in MPE. If this is possible, the rest
should be easy.