Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] scalability
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-12 18:59:50

>> It might be interesting to contemplate a "fast-compile mode" that
>> builds the same logical state machine using the same input syntax but
>> trades away a little run time for compile time.
>
> Yes, I'd be willing to trade that, as my SM is not running in a real
> time environment, but is managing user mouse and menu management.

I'm also thinking about such back-end but I think the trade-off is
likely to be not so much against run-time but UML features. I'm think
about transition conflicts. This one is pretty hard on the compiler.
I'd also bet on submachines and entry/exit pseudo states.

If one is ready to give these ones up, I think we can have pretty
easily something running without speed loss (I'd even bet on a speed
gain). All it'd take would be the MPL book example cooked with the MSM
sauce.