Subject: Re: [boost] C++ Networking Library Release 0.5
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-30 04:57:03

Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> That said though, I'd like to announce the availability of version 0.5
> of the C++ Network Library (cpp-netlib) on both Github and
> Sourceforge.

> You can find documentation about cpp-netlib over at
>
> http://cpp-netlib.github.com/

Hi Dean,

This looks very worthwhile. I've implemented a number of things with
embedded HTTP clients and servers, and features that I have found
important but non-trivial include:

- Retry on failure or timeout, using the Range: header to resume from
the point of failure.
- Use of OS-described proxy facilities.
- %-done progress callbacks.
- Support for requests and responses that are larger than the available
RAM, i.e. they are streamed to/from files with appropriate encodng or decoding.
- Operation in an event-loop environment i.e. "socket readable" and
"socket writable" events on an OS-provided socket.

Some of these things can mess up the API a bit... If you can discover
clean ways to support them, I would be interested to see them.

I have an HTTP request parser using Spirit, if you're interested. It
is a bit grotty as I wrote it as my first exercise using Spirit - but
it does work.
http://svn.chezphil.org/libpbe/trunk/src/parse_http_request.cc .

Regards, Phil.