Subject: Re: [boost] [logo] Boost logo variants for use in unofficial or unreleased boost documentation - was C++ Networking Library Release 0.5
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-01 16:25:06

Joachim Faulhaber wrote:

> As with boost libraries as a whole, I think we should strive to
> foster a consistent style, simplicity and elegance. This implies
> to have
> (1) as few additional logos as possible and
> (2) logos that try to seamlessly and artistically integrate into
> the typographical style that is currently used in boost and
> boost quickbook.

I agree with both of those, but not to your application of (2).

> Because of (2) I think that the red colored additions of
> Patrick's logo are less suitable because they add a new
> (and a very strong) color to the logo and to the color family
> of the whole quickbook style.

Without making that text stand out from the normal logo, it is too easy to miss the variant nature of the not-yet-accepted logos. The red clearly draws attention and makes the not-yet-accepted status clear. Whether to use red or another color or stylistic deviation is less important than to make the logos obviously distinct from the official logo.

> My suggestion is this:
>
> * Only two additional logos
> (1) proposed for boost
> (2) compliant to boost
>
> Libraries that have been proposed on the list and generated
> interest can use logo (1). In order to be acceptable for a formal
> review, the library has to become boost compliant.
> * Boost centric directory structure
> * Implementation of various boost conventions
> * Portability
> * Dependent on std and boost libs only
> * Sufficient documentation.
> * Sufficient tests ...
> to mention only the most important ones.

I disagree with your distinctions. A proposed library can be compliant. The important factor is whether it is on the review queue, which implies that it has undergone some level of scrutiny.

> A library that is not boost compliant will not reach a formal
> review because the review manager should check and reject
> any non boost compliant submission.

That's a hurdle for getting onto the review queue. It doesn't require a special logo.

> The process from the first RFC to the formal review
> implies already a great amount of work and an evolutionary
> process that greatly improves the libraries quality. This is
> (1) first of all an achievement of the library author,
> (2) an achievement of other developers through discussion and
> (3) an achievement of the boost community that produces
> standards and guidelines.
>
> So a library that reaches the state of formal review, even
> if rejected has gained quality and usefulness by the process
> of becoming boost compliant.

If a library hasn't been accepted, nothing can be said about it other than that it hasn't been accepted. A library can be "compliant" and be a horrible idea. That status doesn't help as I see it.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]