Subject: Re: [boost] C++ Networking Library Release 0.5
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-02 04:12:35

On 2/2/2010 4:56 PM, Edouard A. wrote:

> Unfortunately, I forgot I spent a certain amount of time optimizing our
> custom parser to be a zero-copy, zero-allocation parser (not to mention a
> fair deal of mpl to have basically very little code at runtime). Basically,
> the current parser spits out a pair of read-only pointers for each block you
> want to work on when with Spirit the straightforward way implies creating a
> string, which means in many case making a dreaded memory allocation (yes, I
> have a problem with this :p).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the straightforward way implies creating a
string". String for what? The attribute? The input? Spirit does not allocate
any memory. Also, AFAIK, you can avoid using strings. Perhaps be more specific?

> Maybe MSM is more suited for that kind of tasks. I also want to mention that
> I'm a noob when it comes to Spirit so perhaps with more magic one could
> achieve results closer to our custom parser. When our version one is
> released, I will work more on that custom parser vs MSM vs Spirit thingy and
> let you know.

Right off the bat, I'd say, don't use strings if you don't want to.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com