Subject: Re: [boost] [logo] Boost logo variants for use in unofficial or unreleased boost documentation
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-04 18:11:11

Patrick Horgan wrote:
> Michael Fawcett wrote:
>
> > I agree. Might I suggest "Potential" or "Unreviewed"
>
> Thank you Michael. What about the issue of the implication of a
> connection though? If the library is withdrawn, or never
> makes it into the review process, does it go through life with
> "UNREVIEWED BOOST C++ LIBRARIES" attached to it? That sounds
> like it's still a boost library, just in a special category.

Agreed.

> I don't think that there's anything about "UNREVIEWED BOOST C++
> LIBRARIES" that automatically tells anyone unfamiliar with
> the process that the implication is that it isn't a boost
> library at all.

I think that's the key. Those outside Boost are the ones we particularly want to target with this distinction. We want to clearly tell such folks that the library they are reading about or using is not an accepted Boost library.

> It could go through it's life with that icon, and it says too
> much.

Right.

> I'd rather go with one that may say too little, i.e. "POWERED BY
> BOOST C++ LIBRARIES", as a placeholder in the docs for the
> library for the reasons that Robert gave earlier in this
> discussion.

Assuming there's still interest in a special logo, I considered, "to be considered for" and "possible addition to." ("Being considered for" would imply on the review queue at least, if not under review ATM.) I don't like the idea of those being attached to an abandoned library or one that the author chooses not to resubmit after rejection, so I keep coming back to "powered by" as a decent placeholder.

Here's another idea: "for use with." That would apply to all libraries that claim some affinity to Boost, whether because they employ techniques that permit use of various Boost types, concepts, etc., because they provide pieces that can be plugged into Boost libraries, or because they are being developed with the intent to submit for review.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]