Subject: Re: [boost] review system in place is extremely slow? (was Re: [rfc] rcpp)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-25 15:36:56

On 02/25/2010 11:56 AM, Nevin Liber wrote:
> Then comes the "which jobs do we pay for?". If a reviewer spends 80 hours
> doing a detailed review, should we pay them too? What about all the people
> who tirelessly work on getting a release out the door every quarter? Why
> should they work "for free" if other people are getting paid? If we don't
> make enough money from web advertising, you can't just not pay the review
> managers. Who will make up the deficit? Etc., etc.
>

> I understand the sentiment behind paying an honorarium to encourage people
> to do work, but I just don't see how it is practical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Boostpro [1] could be that financial
backend behind these kind of payments. Hence that organization would
decide which areas of Boost needed active improvement in order to pay
for it.

All in all, I'm not advocating for the payment-based approach. I just
understand that the current scheme doesn't work well and I don't think
it will change by itself.

[1] http://www.boostpro.com/