Subject: Re: [boost] [log] init methods and named parameters
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-28 05:14:48

On 02/28/2010 02:16 AM, Michael Caisse wrote:

> However, I am finding it very difficult to follow the documentation.
> For example, the tutorial section is not complete enough
> to fabricate a working example. Specifically, the lack
> of header definitions has become mind numbing. If there was
> some macro include boost/log/log.hpp or something when you are
> starting out ... it would be very helpful.

1. There is no boost/log/log.hpp that includes everything because it is
not needed. You don't need all the library included everywhere you use
logging. There are headers that include all sinks, all loggers, etc.
2. The tutorial is intended to give you an idea of the library usage. It
is not intended to give you a working and meaningful example in the end.
For that go to the examples directory.
3. Headers are defined in every section of the detailed feature description.

> Better yet, the documentation is generated via boostbook, utilize the
> feature to pull code examples directly from real working code. (see
> spirit docs for examples) This approach makes it easy for the user to
> follow along the tutorial and also ensures that your code examples are
> indeed correct and without flaw. The tutorials can all be compiled and
> checked just like regressions.

I thought of that, but never got around to do it.

> And now for my latest documentation hiccup: init_from_stream and
> init_from_settings both look promising. I pull up the docs and
> take a look at each. I follow the basic_settings link. I poke around
> some more..... and now I'm getting frustrated again. Where do I
> find list of possible settings? Why isn't there a link in the docs
> to give me a hint of where to go?

http://tinyurl.com/ybxzlec

All parameters are described in tables, with an example in the end.