Subject: Re: [boost] is review system in place is extremely slow? (wasRe: [rfc] rcpp)
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-01 12:13:00

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart, Robert" <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 5:48 PM

> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I agree that the usual review period is too short for non-trivial libraries. Many reviews are extended and many reviewers or would-be reviewers express problems with lack of time. I'm not sure four months (or six as suggested elsewhere) is warranted however.

I suggested up to six month for the support period during which the author receives enough interest on the library, not the review period.

> As Andrey noted elsewhere, reviewers can submit, or at least write, reviews before the review period. If a reviewer won't have list access during the review period, then submit the review early. Unfortunately, that's not done.

I think this is not done because the library to review is not fixed.

> Reviews are typically announced a month or more ahead of time now, so the review manager can call for reviews beginning immediately, making it clear that early submissions are welcome. Doing so effectively extends the review period back a month before the official start time. Gennadiy's longer review period idea would simply make that unofficial start (the announcement and call for early reviews) an official part of the review period.

Do you think we can demand the library is fixed as soon as the review date is fixed?

> I agree that a longer period means the review period will be more relaxed. The author must look for an respond to queries and concerns about the library over a longer period, but that's no different than what follows acceptance.
>
>> > It's much easier for the author and review manager to
>> > schedule their
>> > time for a few weeks to pay more attention to a short but
>> > active review,
>> > than try to do that for several months.
>
> I disagree. The heightened attention demanded by the current approach is almost impossible to support. Lengthening the review period means one can take a day or two, rather than hours, to respond to a post.

I agree. I think that the quality of exchanges will increase if people can take the time to respond to a post.

>> > It also requires more review managers. I don't think
>> > sharing a review
>> > manager between several parallel reviews is a good idea.
>>
>> I do not see why we need a strict rule here. If person is
>> willing and/or
>> if, for example, there is one month left in one review one can start
>> another one taking 4 month... Ultimately review wizard has to approve
>> the review manager.
>
> Concurrent reviews won't be a problem is the review periods are longer and if a subsequent review must follow the current review by, say, a month. IOW, if non-trivial reviews are two months, then they would only overlap by one month.

maybe we need to limit the number of parallel reviews, but two will be to restrictive.

Best,
Vicente