Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Log formal review upcoming
From: Matthias Vallentin (vallentin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-01 13:03:37

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:03:57PM -0500, Daniel Larimer wrote:
> If you change the abstraction to nothing but a stream of data packets
> of "some type" that flows from "some source" through various "filters"
> to "one or more" destinations, then a "log file" becomes little more
> than a "buffer" in the stream.
>
> Thus, if you have some "real time monitoring tools" that can be hooked
> up to debug then these tools should be agnostic to whether or not the
> channel they receive their data on is from the original source or from
> the other side of a "log file filter".

It looks like the replay tool performs some sort of input parsing on a
given stream. What I am trying to understand is whether you are asking
to couple those two processes. That is, do you advocate that the
definition of the output format should automatically generate a parser
(e.g., via Spirit) for the output?

In general, I would love to see the library in Boost. My logging
facilities are built on top of the current SVN version of the library
and became an invaluable and flexible tool throughout my development.

   Matthias

--
Matthias Vallentin
vallentin_at_[hidden]