Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] Summer of Code Project Ideas
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-08 20:24:11

Andrew Sutton wrote:
> ==Extensions for Existing Libraries==
> There are a number of Boost libraries that are very amenable to extension
> (e.g., BGL, GIL, Math, etc.).

Boost.Geometry

Within Boost.Geometry, we have discussed participation in the GSoC a
bit. However, we've decided to not to propose or mentor any projects
due to amount of work we need to get done ASAP to include the library in
one of the upcoming Boost releases.

I have mentored one GSoC project myself (though, not for Boost)
and I would not be able to commit to mentoring while working on the
library preparation at the same time.

However, I personally thing, that if someone else would be interested in
mentoring a student working on some project for Boost.Geometry, that
would be great.

> == Infrastructure Projects==
> Projects that aren't part of Boost, but help us improve the quality of Boost
> might make decent projects, but we've never had one proposed or accepted
> that I'm aware of. Remember, we can't accept documentation projects so
> "Write my documents" will not be a good student project (unfortunately ;)

What could that be?

Compilation farm? Developing regression resting?
May be something like integrating Boost regression tests
with existing systems like Buildbot, Hudson, etc.
This could increase potential of attaching new test environments.

> ==Applications of Boost==
> This is a little different... It might be a good idea to have students build
> real (example?) applications that use the Boost C++ Libraries. There are a
> number of real benefits to having students work in this space. First, these
> applications are very obvious clients of Boost. They can provide immediate
> feedback on issues with the interface, usability, correctness, performance,
> documentation, etc. Second, they might make really good examples of best
> practice for using Boost. Third, they probably make nice student projects.

It could also include projects for integrating/collaboration between
Boost libraries. For instance, number of ideas have been discussed
about integrating Boost Geometry and Boost Polygon libraries in terms of
using types of one with algorithms of the other one, etc.

Another interesting proposals could be projects integrating GIL
(rasters) with Geometry (vectors). For example, implementation of
algorithms for rasterisation of vectors or vectorization of rasters
seem to be ideal candidates for extensions.

Best regards,