Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] C++0x Project Ideas
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 11:54:47

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Andrew Sutton <andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Previous years' SoC project ideas suggested porting some or all of a library
> to C++0x. I wanted to get a read on whether or not Boost developers think
> that there is value in these kinds of projects. I think there are some
> interesting pros and cons.

[snip]

> Thoughts?

I'm not very familiar with the rules that a GSoC project should comply with
and what a mentor is responsible for (besides what I've read here:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoCSubmissionTemplate), but
one possible candidate for a C++0x (or rather C++1x) project could be
the Mirror reflection library which I happen to be working on.
(souceforge homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mirror-lib/)
(docs: http://kifri.fri.uniza.sk/~chochlik/mirror-lib/html/)

There are several task, on my TODO list, some of which might be
suitable for a SoC project:

1) writing several small/medium-sized or one/two more complex examples of usage
2) writing some high level tools using the low level meta-objects similar
    to the already existing "factory generator" tool
3) making a tool for automatic or semiautomatic registering of the
base-level stuff
    (namespaces, classes, class members, ...) with Mirror. There is an early
    version of such tool using the XML output of doxygen.
4) "porting" the library to other compilers besides gcc 4.5.x, which is the only
    compiler I know of implementing all the C++0x features required by Mirror

I'm planning to propose them as master's thesis projects at our
faculty this year,
but in case of interest by the Boost community I could turn some of them
into a GSoC project.

Best regards,

Matus