Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Comments
From: Darryl Green (darryl.green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-15 08:30:20

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:45 +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Looking at the proposed libraries, I see two major issues:
>

> * It appears that out of the box, the proposed library does not address
> this component/severity style of logging that I've explained above.

Aside from the examples given, syslog still exists (complete with printf
interface - who needs another logging lib anyway :) and has the same
component (the tag) and severity (severity) concept, plus a time stamp
and a "host" identifier. Common usage also includes a process ID. It
would be instructive to see an example usage with the necessary
attributes to construct a conventional syslog message.

> * Why is trivial logging printing the sequental number of each log message?
> I don't think this helps anything. Also, it prints the thread "number",
> on my system a hex string. I am not sure thread id should be part of trivial
> logging.

I agree. But that said, I'm not sure what the "right" base attribute set
should be - I'm not sure there should be one - it would be better to
make composition from a set of commonly used attributes easier.

> Finally, I think by default, everybody things of logging as glorified
> std::cout, so trivial logging better print messages to console, not to a file.

And everybody thinks the console is a file (platforms where it isn't are
wrong :-) Trivial logging shouldn't be so trivial it can't be used in a
program that can output to either.