Subject: [boost] Boost, Decoupled and Accelerated
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-16 12:04:09

Hi All,

I know I'm not the first person to notice that, as Boost has grown, it
has become harder and harder to manage, Subversion is getting slow,
our issue tracker is full to overflowing, and the release process is a
full-time job. For me, this situation has taken a lot of the fun out
of participating. It's time to make Boost development fun again.

To that end, Troy Straszheim and I have started building a system
called Ryppl to decentralize development, testing, release, and
installation of interdependent projects, like—but not limited to—Boost
libraries. I will be holding a session

  **Tuesday night at BoostCon**

to formally unveil this system and demonstrate it in action, and I
intend to propose that Boost make the move immediately thereafter. I
believe this project has the potential to change the face not only of
Boost, but of open-source software in general.

By the time of BoostCon, ryppl will be live, and we'll be able to use
it to work on Boost. I encourage anyone who is interested in these
developments to register for BoostCon immediately.

If you're interested in working on development of this system,
*please* send me an email; we can really use your help. Be
forewarned, though: this may not operate like many other open-source
projects. Given the short period of time remaining before the
conference, we have little time for design discussion and debate, and
we need to be maximally effective: there's simply no time to waste.
You can expect me to take a “Benevolent Dictator” role, if not “For
Life,” (BDFL) then at least “For the Time Being” (BDFTB).

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing