Subject: Re: [boost] queries regarding the BigInt project @ GSoc 2010
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-21 12:46:47

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ankit Malpani" <ankit.malpani_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:27 PM

> hello all!
>
> i am really interested in developing the proposed BigInt library for
> Boost as a part of GSoC this summer . Here are a couple of queries i
> have.
>
> 1. With regard to the data structure for handling such integers - are
> we looking at bit-level implementation(less space and probably more
> execution time) or digit level manipulation (more space - and probably
> less execution time). i.e. for an n-digit number is it ok to use up
> [n/2 to n] bytes of space or necessary to stick to log n amount of
> space for a BigInt object.

I think that some application will have space constraints and other performances constraints. So why not provide both, and let the user choose the best adapted to her/his needs?

> 1.1 The arbitrary precision calculations could be implemented using
> the BigInt data-structure along with a scaling factor variable

I would concentrate on integer types, and let arbitrary precision numbers out.

> 2. what all are the expected functions of this library - basic
> arithmetic(add, subtract ,multiply, divide, modulo, powers) ,
> relational(<=, <, >,>=, !=, ==) , bitwise operation ,and maybe added
> functionality like gcd and lcm are some of the things i can think of,
> please do add on to the list .

I suppose that all the C++ integer functions will be enough for a GSoc project.

> 3. i have no prior experience of using Boost libraries, will this
> prove to be a problem with regard to this project?
>
> Please do refine this design and point out all the flaws in my
> understanding. Hope to get your replies soon

Best,
Vicente