Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2010 idea
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 09:28:00

> a) prepare to make a commitment way beyond 3 months
>
> b) or pick a project smaller than a whole new library.

I certainly agree with everything that you've said, but there are some
contradictory requirements. We may attract students by offering them
opportunities to work on interesting projects, or we may get fewer by
offering maintenance projects. I'm certainly willing to list maintenance
tasks as project ideas, but not too many have been offered.

It's also worth pointing out that Boost has actually been pretty successful
at retaining students after August, despite the demanding requirement (or
maybe because of). I think 40-60% of previous students are still
contributing or moving their libraries toward review. I think that's a
pretty good measure.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to resolve these issues in any satisfactory
way. I do appreciate the 2 cents, though. This discussion is helping me
build a bigger picture view of the requirements. Maybe we'll do better next
year :)

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]