Subject: [boost] Low discrepancy sequences (Boost.Random)
From: Justinas V. D. (jvd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 16:04:28

I have uploaded Niederreiter's base 2 (NB2) low discrepancy sequence
generator (as described in Bratley, Fox, Niederreiter, ACM Trans.
Model. Comp. Sim. 2, 195 (1992)) to Boost Vault. Low discrepancy
sequences are particularly important for quasi random Monte Carlo
integration approximations, because they enable algorithms to converge
approx. the order of magnitude faster.

The implementation is tested against GSL (GNU Scientific Library), and
generates identical uniform [0, 1) output for all dimensions up to 12
(GSL does not support more dimensions). The implementation, however,
supports up to 20 dimensions.

Some notes:
1) Initialization is pretty fast. To initialize NB2 state is a lot of
work, and some of it is alleviated by (I hope) judicious use of
metaprogramming. I did not measure really rigorously, but the
impression is that initialization is about twice as fast.
2) I am not exactly a Boost.Random guru, so I probably missed some
conceptual requirements, but it works just fine with uniform_01
template (see dim2demo.cpp).

IMO Boost.Random (and a lot of other Boost libraries) is one of the
best things after the sliced bread, but it sorely lacks some low
discrepancy sequence generator, be it Niederreiter's, Sobel's or
something else equally effective.

J.