Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 19:54:25

On 23 March 2010 14:11, Tom Brinkman <reportbase2007_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> If it takes more than a day to examine a libraries source code and
> have some idea what its doing, its very dangerous to use.

What about, for example, compression or security libs? I don't know
how libjpeg works. I couldn't explain bz2's text compression scheme.
I have no interest in the details of H.264 codecs. I can't tell you
what encryption scheme SSL uses. Does that mean I shouldn't use any
of them?

Very often the whole point of using the libraries is that you don't
know how they do what they do, since you don't want to and shouldn't
have to.

I'm really not worried that I would get lost in a chip layout diagram
for all the hundreds of millions of transistors in my processor.