Subject: [boost] Bignum Library Interest?
From: Seth Bunce (seth_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 03:44:30

I was thinking about making a bignum library for boost and wanted to
gauge interest. I've read through the boost mailing list archives on
this topic.

I've seen mp_math in the vault by Kevin Sopp (AKA baraclese). I'm not
sure if he's still working on it (he hasn't updated it in a while). What
I want to do is similar.

I made a bignum frontend with libtommath backend. This is a rough
version of what I want to do. I thought I'd see if anyone was interested
before I put more effort in to it.

http://seth.dnsdojo.net/code/mpa.zip
Note: This only compiles on Linux. I've read the boost library
submission process guidelines and I will make this library conform to
them if I continue to work on it.
Note: "include/mpa/mpa.hpp" is the most interesting part. Look at
"lib_src/libmpa/mpa.cpp" for the libtommath backend stuff.

-----------------------------------

I think the project should have these specifications.

Boost Library Name: MPA (Multi-Precision Arithmetic)
Namespace: boost::mpa::

Guidelines:
1. Use PIMPL (to make different backends easier in the distant future).
2. DO NOT focus on backend work. Focus on making the frontend nice. Use
libtommath backend (boost compatible license, portable, well tested, not
as fast as GMP).
3. DO NOT focus on performance. Library won't get off the ground if it
is required to be as fast as GMP from the start.
4. DO NOT implement floating point. Similar reason to #3.

Is this worthwhile? Are any of the guidelines bad?

        -Seth