Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.Process
From: Bruno Santos (bsantos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 08:35:53

Hi,

Boris Schaeling wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:58:57 +0100, Moncef Mechri
> <moncef.mechri_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > [...]Yeah :). What do you think about the idea to set up an handler
> > which calls
> > wait() when a SIGCHLD signal is received ?
> > Otherwise, what's your vision of this asynchronous wait() ?
>
> From a user's point of view an asynchronous wait() ideally behaves like
> any other asynchronous operation supported by Boost.Asio. How the
> implementation looks like depends then on the platform (on POSIX systems I
> agree we could and maybe have to catch SIGCHLD).
>
> >> [...]5) Right now, boost::process::wait_children() returns the first
> >> exit

> >> No comment except that creating and managing pipelines is indeed another
> >> topic we have to think about.
> >

> > This means that you're ok with this proposition ?
>
> Yes, no problem (mainly because I'm more concerned about overall design
> decisions for now :-).
>
> >> 6) Actually in Boost.Process, if the developer wants to be able to do
> >>>

> >> I agree it must be changed (adding the macro was a quick fix as
> >> asynchronous I/O didn't work at all on Windows before).
> >>

> > I'm going to thing about a concrete proposition to solve this issue
>
> The problem here is that we need an I/O object which needs to be bound to
> an I/O service object (not sure how familiar you are with Boost.Asio?).
> Now what's the I/O object in Boost.Process? Shall we think of a process as
> an I/O object? Can we expect developers to prefer using asynchronous I/O
> just as they do with sockets for example? If we don't want to force
> developers to create an I/O service object whenever they work with
> Boost.Process we need to find another mechanism to turn a process object
> into an I/O object later (after it has been constructed). This again is
> something which hasn't been done yet in any Boost library (all other
> objects support asynchronous I/O right after construction).

The IO Service for Boost.Process would have to create a thread to handle
the signals. However, I think the Boost.ASIO implementation details
already does something to block signals, this cannot be ignored! Anyway,
see *sigemptyset*, *sigaddset* and *sigwait*. This API's allows us to
handle signals in a sane manner :)