Subject: Re: [boost] Crypto Suite
From: James Mansion (james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-07 02:11:01

Chad Seibert wrote:
> Well, as I'm writing the proposal, I'm more emphasizing the structure of generic implementations of crypto-like stuff, not the actual implementations of MD5, AES, RSA, etc. The second half of my proposal was on actual implementation, where I discuss using either Crypto++ or Botan, with author permission. I'm in the midst of getting that permission.

As you wish, though I'm not sold on the benefit of reinventing the
wheel. I thought Botan and Crypto++ both have interfaces that hide details.

Perhaps if it has selectable implementations via strategy (like ASIO)
and hides the differences between OpenSSL, GNUTLS, Botan, Crypto++,
SChannel etc then it would have value. I'd be concerned about something
that's driven by 'because I can' rather than by solving a problem,
particularly if you can't necessarily hit tough performance targets.

I do know that Jack mentioned he'd like some help fixing the Ajisai code
that went into Botan so it doesn't try to do its own IO, and can be used
as a passive state machine. That would make it easier to integrate with
other software (eg ASIO), and it would be nice if a result could be that
ASIO got a Botan SSL integration alongside the OpenSSL one. Extra
points for a SASL layer for ASIO too.

(It would also be nice if ASIO got support for Solaris event ports, but
that's another matter.