Subject: Re: [boost] [Review Results] Boost.Polygon library accepted into boost
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-07 17:28:23

Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> (5)
> There where too many warnings and build errors (but Luke fixed
> these)

Done

> (6a)
> The documentation needs a better overview of operations supported
> by the concetps.

Improved, there is more general discussion of what operations are provided by the library on the main page.

> (6b)
> It also needs the details on the algorithms complexities.

Done, all interfaces documented include algorithmic complexity when applicable.

> (6c)
> It also misses the numerical requirements for the coordinate type.

Done

> (6d)
> And tutorials.

Not Done.

> (10)
> Theoreticall the library would be usable with a user defined
> coordinate type (metting certain requirements now undocumented),
> for example a fixed point data type, but some details in the
> internal design and implementation prevents this.

Done, I adapted Algorithmic C ac_int<128> successfully.

> (12)
> The name of the library should change to better indicate that is
> restricted to Integral coordinates and two-dimensions.

We settled on Boost.Polygon as a compromise.

> (13)
> The documentation must contain a "credits" section acknowledging
> all the people that participated in the review.

Done

> For the library to be effectively accepted, points (5),(6a-d),(10),
> (12) and (13) should properly addressed ((5) is already done AFAICT)
>
> It would be quite significant if point (1) where looked into.

Related to performance concerns (1) I improved the line segment intersection algorithm, proved the comparison was a red herring and greatly improved the efficiency of the library's use of gmp or equivalent high precision numerical data types.

I also have boost build and test working with my unit test and the unit test passing when compiled and run through bjam. The unit tests compile cleanly with -pedantic now.

It looks like the only issue not yet addressed is (6d). I'd like to start migrating the library from sandbox to trunk and preparing for release. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. Is there a contact within boost (Hartmut or Dave) that I can work with to get the library transitioned to the trunk and scheduled for release? At this stage I feel confident that I can write a tutorial in time for whatever upcoming release of boost the library is scheduled to be bundled into.

Thanks,
Luke